40 Interesting Facts about Argentina
Argentina is considered as one of the preferred destinations for travelers from all over the world. From their meat consumption, tango dancing and diverse culture, these interesting Argentina facts will blow your mind.
1. Argentina is the eighth largest country in the world.
2. The name “Argentina” derived from the Latin word “silver”.
3. Buenos Aires is the continent’s most visited city.
4. Argentina covers an area of 1,068,296 square miles.
5. Argentina had 5 presidents in 10 days in 2001.
6. Argentina was the 10th wealthiest nation per capita in 1913.
7. Both the hottest and the coldest temperatures ever recorded on the South American continent have occurred in Argentina.
8. Argentina is the largest Spanish-speaking country in the world.
9. Argentina has the second-highest rate of anorexia in the world after Japan.
10. Argentina shares a land border with five countries, including Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, and Paraguay.
11. The official currency of Argentina is the Peso.
12. Buenos Aires is the capital city of Argentina.
13. The Latin music started in Buenos Aires.
14. The most popular dances in the world, the tango originated in the slaughterhouse district of Buenos Aires in the end of the 19th century.
15. Argentine beef is famous around the world.
16. Argentina has the highest consumption of red meat in the world.
17. The Argentina national football team has won the football World Cup twice in 1978 & 1986.
18. Pato is a national sport of Argentina which is played on horseback.
19. There are over 30 national parks in Argentina.
20. The world’s earliest plants “Liverworts” were found in Argentina, which had no roots and stems.
21. Perito Moreno Glacier is the third-largest freshwater source and also a glacier that is growing instead of shrinking.
22. Buenos Aires has more psychoanalysts and psychiatrists than any other city in the world.
23. Argentina is divided into seven different regions: Mesopotamia, Gran Chaco Northwest, Cuyo, Pampas, Patagonia and Sierras Pampeanas.
24. Argentine soccer hero Lionel Messi is the world’s best footballer.
25. Over 10% of the world’s flora is found in Argentina.
26. Argentina is the fifth leading wheat exporter country in the world.
27. Argentines spend most of their time listening to the radio as compared to any other nation in the world.
28. Argentina was the first country in South America to authorize same-sex marriage in 2010.
29. Argentina has the highest rates of movie viewing in the world.
30. Abortion is still restricted in Argentina except in cases where the life of the mother is in danger or rape.
31. Argentines greet each other with a kiss on the cheek.
32. Aconcagua is the highest point in Argentina at 22,841 feet high.
33. Argentina was the first country to have radio broadcasting in the world on August 27, 1920.
34. Argentines have the highest rates of movie watching in the world.
35. Parana River is the Longest River in Argentina.
36. The first woman President to be elected in Argentina was Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.
Source: Media Source